The Power of Metrics in Research Administration
90 minutes: This webinar will be a dive deep into what metrics can really do for us. We will discuss how metrics can help us support and improve our business processes and manage risk at an advanced level.
Over the past decade, many institutions have invested in institutional systems that can be leveraged to support metric analysis. Duke University is one of these universities and they have built a comprehensive structure for utilizing their data to support, build, and manage their operations. At Duke University, they have institutional systems for proposal submission, purchasing, travel, ledger, closeout, post-award processes, training, etc. The data from these systems is integrated to create monitoring metrics for cost-transfers, effort reporting, and other compliance requirements. These metrics are now available for data mining, analysis, and visualization to support the research mission and faculty more effectively. The integrated data supports improved compliance, business operations, workload management and more at the departmental, school, and institutional levels.
Also discussed will be what we can learn from the data we gather about awards, proposals, and other key areas. Trend analysis can assist us in forecasting the future as well as identifying our challenges and opportunities.
This is an evolving field and, regardless of your institution’s scale, there are numerous opportunities to use your data to understand your institution better. Please join us to further explore what research administration metrics can do for us.
Kerry Peluso, Assistant Vice President for Research Administration, Office of Research, Florida State University
Jim Luther, Assistant Vice President, Research Costing Compliance & Federal Reimbursement, Duke University
Prerequisite: Participants will want involvement with business processes and managing risk at their institution or organization.
Handouts will be available 24 hours before the live webinar.
Closed Captioning for the live presentation is available at no additional fee. Sign in and click on the "Closed Captioning" link in the handouts tab or in the links box in the meeting room to access this feature.
Member Price: $95
Non-Member Price: $115
Your registration includes one log-in. We are pleased to provide the opportunity for you to register additional sites at a discounted price of $25.00 per log-in. When you are checking out, click the "Add" button and type in the email address of your colleague that you would like to register. If that person does not already have an NCURA profile, please have them go to the NCURA website to create a profile, then you will be able to register them with your registration. You will be able to change or add more registrations by clicking “My Registrations” in the menu at the top left of the home page, then clicking the “Purchases for Others” button. If you have any questions about this option, please email email@example.com.
- Participants will be able to describe how a university can utilize data to support, build, and manage their operations.
- Participants will learn ways that integrated data can support improved compliance, business operations and workload management.
- Participants will understand some methods that other institutions are utilizing to gather, report, and share metrics.
Assistant Vice President for Research Administration, Office of Research
Florida State University
Assistant Vice President, Research Costing Compliance & Federal Reimbursement
Participants receive 1.5 hours of continuing education credits = .2 CEU's for each webinar.
You can access your certificate from the box on the right side of the screen, after filling out the webinar evaluation.
Watching in a group? Everyone watching the presentation can request a CEU certificate by writing down the verification code at the end of the webinar. Please make a note of the verification code as it will not be available after the webinar.
The main registrant can access instructions on the Group CEU tab for group participants to receive CEU certificates.
We recommend testing your browser as soon as possible in case you need to contact your IT department for help.
- It is recommended that you use a PC or MAC with an updated Internet Browser.
- Make sure you have pop-ups blockers disabled in your Internet browser settings.
- Make sure that your internet browser is Active X enabled.
- Wifi is not recommended. The problem with WiFi is signal strength can vary causing bandwidth to increase or decrease.
- We recommend a wired connection. A wired connection gives a consistent signal and consistent bandwidth. A wired connection provides a better experience.
- It's better for organizations with low bandwidth to only have the webinar running on 1 computer in a conference room than having 10 individual people running the session on 10 computers at their desks.
- Audio (sound) is projected through your computer speakers. Be sure your computer is equipped with speakers so you can hear the presenters.
For additional recommendations on your computer set up for the webinar, please click here.