Spooky Business: Managing SBIR/STTR Projects
Includes a Live Web Event on 10/11/2023 at 2:00 PM (EDT)
Unlimited Free Additional Logins for Your Institution!
Spooky Business: Managing SBIR/STTR Projects
October 11, 2023
2:00 – 3:30 pm EDT * Webinar
3:35 – 4:30 pm EDT * After the Show * Talk with the Faculty Directly!
Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) awards are an increasingly popular way for research institutions to partner with industry on federal projects. SBIR and STTR projects are critical in the development of various technologies; however, such relationships may give rise to several competing interests. This session will discuss strategies for identifying and managing multiple competing interests when research institutions partner with a small business entity on these federal projects. We will highlight different approaches to the proposal submission and award of SBIR and STTR projects from the perspective of a Sponsored Programs Officer in an Office of Sponsored Research and Industry Contracts Officers in a Technology Transfer Office, and from a non-profit/medical center (City of Hope) and public/state institutions (University of California, Riverside and University of California, Santa Barbara).
Format of webinar: 90-minute presentation, followed by 55 minutes of discussion.
In this session:
- Participants will learn about the different types of SBIR and STTR submissions
- Participants will gain an understanding of different approaches and guidelines/policy to SBIR/STTR submissions at different institutions
- Participants will identify various types of potential issues that may arise during SBIR/STTR projects, from Conflict of Interest (COI), Intellectual Property (IP), budget, etc.
Industry Contracts Officer
University of California, Santa Barbara
Frosina Al Zgoul
Senior Grants & Contracts Administrator
City of Hope National Medical Center, Beckman Research Institute
Industry Contract Officer
University of California - Riverside
Participants receive 1.5 hours of continuing education credits.
You can access your certificate from the box on the right side of the screen, after filling out the webinar evaluation.
NCURA webinars use the Zoom Webinar platform. To confirm that you are ready to participate, please test your browser before joining the webinar, or review the more detailed system requirements.
- It is recommended that you use a PC or MAC with an updated Internet Browser either Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Edge or Safari.
- Make sure you have pop-ups blockers disabled in your Internet browser settings.
- Wifi is not recommended. The problem with WiFi is signal strength can vary causing bandwidth to increase or decrease.
- We recommend a wired connection. A wired connection gives a consistent signal and consistent bandwidth. A wired connection provides a better experience.
- It's better for organizations with low bandwidth to only have the webinar running on 1 computer in a conference room than having 10 individual people running the session on 10 computers at their desks.
- Audio (sound) is projected through your computer speakers. Be sure your computer is equipped with speakers so you can hear the presenters.
Member Price: $130.00
Non-Member Price: $160.00
Your registration includes one log-in. We are pleased to provide the opportunity for you to register additional sites at your institution for no additional charge.
When you are checking out, click the "Add Extra Login" button in your cart, and type in the email address of your colleague that you would like to register. If they already have a profile in the registration system, their name will pop up and you can add them to your registration.
If that person has never logged in to the Online Learning Center their name will not come up. Please have them go to the NCURA website to create a profile, then log into this registration site. This initial login is required for the registration site to communicate with NCURA's database. After that, you will be able to add them to your registration.*
If you add at least one additional registration with yours, you will be able to change or add more registrations for the webinar in the future by clicking “My Registrations” in the menu at the top left of the home page, then clicking the “Purchases for Others” button.
*If you have already checked out without adding any additional logins but would still like to invite others from your institution, please refer to the extra logins tab for a registration link for your institution. Note, this tab will only appear after you have completed your paid registration.
Handouts will be available 24 hours before the live webinar.
Closed Captioning for the live presentation is available at no additional fee. Sign in and click on the Closed Captioning icon in your zoom tools.
For technical assistance email firstname.lastname@example.org