How to Deal with HIPAA Rules Under the Revised Common Rule
(90 minutes) This webinar will provide an overview of the impact of the Common Rule (45 CFR part 46) changes on HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) (45 CFR Part 160 and Part 164) covered information and biospecimens. We will discuss the complex and varied updates and issues associated with the Revised Common Rule and how these need to be addressed when working with HIPAA covered information.
Topics to be covered will include:
- The role of HIPAA and HIPAA Controlled Data in research,
- HIPAA identifiers and biospecimen use,
- Changes to consent,
- Limited IRB review.
Melanie Clark, Associate Director, Office of Research Integrity Assurance, Georgia Institute of Technology
Carpantato (Tanta) Myles, Director, Office for Research Compliance, The University of Alabama
Handouts will be available 24 hours before the live webinar.
Closed Captioning for the live presentation is available at no additional fee. Sign in and click on the "Closed Captioning" link in the handouts tab or in the links box in the meeting room to access this feature.
Member Price: $99
Non-Member Price: $118
- Participants will be able to understand the role of HIPAA and HIPAA Controlled Data in research.
- Participants will learn about HIPAA identifiers and biospecimen use in research and how these can now be used in some exempt research.
- Participants will be able to understand the changes to consent, including broad consent.
- Participants will learn about the new limited IRB review.
Carpantato (Tanta) Myles
Director, Office for Research Compliance
The University of Alabama
Associate Director, Office of Research Integrity Assurance
Georgia Institute of Technology
Participants receive 1.5 hours of continuing education credits = .2 CEU's for each webinar.
You can access your certificate from the box on the right side of the screen, after filling out the webinar evaluation.
Watching in a group? Everyone watching the presentation can request a CEU certificate by writing down the verification code at the end of the webinar. Please make a note of the verification code as it will not be available after the webinar.
The main registrant can access instructions on the Group CEU tab for group participants to receive CEU certificates.
We recommend testing your browser as soon as possible in case you need to contact your IT department for help.
- It is recommended that you use a PC or MAC with an updated Internet Browser.
- Make sure you have pop-ups blockers disabled in your Internet browser settings.
- Make sure that your internet browser is Active X enabled.
- Wifi is not recommended. The problem with WiFi is signal strength can vary causing bandwidth to increase or decrease.
- We recommend a wired connection. A wired connection gives a consistent signal and consistent bandwidth. A wired connection provides a better experience.
- It's better for organizations with low bandwidth to only have the webinar running on 1 computer in a conference room than having 10 individual people running the session on 10 computers at their desks.
- Audio (sound) is projected through your computer speakers. Be sure your computer is equipped with speakers so you can hear the presenters.
For additional recommendations on your computer set up for the webinar, please click here.