Data Security in a Remote Environment
Includes a Live Event on 02/22/2021 at 2:00 PM (EST)
(90 minutes) This session will focus on the common non-technical issues experienced during the pivot from the traditional office environment to working from home.
Topics will include:
- Working from Home Policy Document
- Setting up a home office, ergonomics, equipment, requirements for VPN, 2 Factor Authentication,
- Privacy considerations (e.g., Data on home system, cell phones subject to audit)
- Freedom of Information Act requests (FOIA) - Keep personal & university data separate
- Use of Microsoft Teams - Is that environment ok for Sensitive but Unclassified (SBU) information?
- Remote desktop to Office or applications on home equipment?
- Resource Availability at home; sharing Broadband/WIFI with family / apartment, etc.
Chris Carsten, eRA Systems Officer, Office of Sponsored Programs, Colorado State University
Stephen Dowdy, Director of Research Systems & Integration, University of Maryland
Nicole Quartiero, Director, Office of Sponsored Programs, CSU Pueblo
Jon Peterson, Network Administrator, Colorado State University
Ron Splittgerber, Director, Research Services, Colorado State University
Handouts will be available 24 hours before the live webinar.
Closed Captioning for the live presentation is available at no additional fee. Sign in and click on the "Closed Captioning" link in the handouts tab or in the chat box in the webinar room to access this feature.
Member Price: $125.00
Non-Member Price: $150.00
NCURA AFTER THE SHOW FORUM – 3:45 – 4:45 PM EASTERN
NCURA now offers an additional 60 minute forum for webinar participants to continue the conversation and share information as a part of the webinar registration fee.
At the end of our 90 minute webinar, we will take a 15 minute break and then participants can rejoin us and break into small groups to discuss and network on the topic. There will also be an opportunity to come back together in the larger group to share information, resources and ideas.
Sign up for “After the Show” is available for all webinar participants at no additional cost in your cart listed under Additional Info.
Your registration includes one log-in. We are pleased to provide the opportunity for you to register additional sites. We know many of your team members are working from home right now. NCURA will be offering additional logins for this webinar at no cost for all registered institutions so your full team can participate…together.
When you are checking out, click the "Add" button and type in the email address of your colleague that you would like to register. If they already have a profile in the registration system, their name will pop up and you can add them to your registration. If that person does not already have an NCURA profile, please have them go to the NCURA website to create a profile, then log into this registration site. This initial login is required for the registration site to communicate with NCURA's database. After that, you will be able to add them to your registration.
If you add at least one registration with yours, you will be able to change or add more registrations in the future by clicking “My Registrations” in the menu at the top left of the home page, then clicking the “Purchases for Others” button.
If you have any questions about this option, please email email@example.com.
- Setting up a secure home office (WiFi WPA2-PSK(AES), other devices using home network) and using secure connections (VPN, 2 Factor Authentication)
- Setting up a secure document storage & sharing resource
- Understanding privacy issues, Freedom of Information Act requests and their impact when using personal computer, cell phone
- Communication apps and security in a virtual world (Microsoft Teams, Zoom)
- Understanding remote desktop v. home computer applications (MS Office)
- Looking ahead to Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) requirements
eRA Systems Officer, Office of Sponsored Programs
Colorado State University
Director of Research Systems & Integration
University of Maryland
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
Colorado State University
Director, Research Services
Colorado State University
Participants receive 1.5 hours of continuing education credits = .2 CEU's for each webinar.
You can access your certificate from the box on the right side of the screen, after filling out the webinar evaluation.
Watching in a group? Everyone watching the presentation can request a CEU certificate by writing down the verification code at the end of the webinar. Please make a note of the verification code as it will not be available after the webinar.
The main registrant can access instructions on the Group CEU tab for group participants to receive CEU certificates.
We recommend testing your browser as soon as possible in case you need to contact your IT department for help.
- It is recommended that you use a PC or MAC with an updated Internet Browser.
- Make sure you have pop-ups blockers disabled in your Internet browser settings.
- Wifi is not recommended. The problem with WiFi is signal strength can vary causing bandwidth to increase or decrease.
- We recommend a wired connection. A wired connection gives a consistent signal and consistent bandwidth. A wired connection provides a better experience.
- It's better for organizations with low bandwidth to only have the webinar running on 1 computer in a conference room than having 10 individual people running the session on 10 computers at their desks.
- Audio (sound) is projected through your computer speakers. Be sure your computer is equipped with speakers so you can hear the presenters.
For additional recommendations on your computer set up for the webinar, please click here.