A Primer on Subawards Under Federal Assistance Awards
Updated for the Uniform Guidance.
NCURA is proud to re-introduce our online tutorial on Subawards under Federal Assistance Awards. Learn at your own pace!
We have developed an overview of this complex process. As a primer it is intended for those new to subawards, or who have had very limited exposure. This online tutorial is focused on subcontracting programmatic effort under federal grants and other financial assistance awards. Upon successful completion of the course, students will:
- Understand a subaward within the context of the larger area of research administration
- Be familiar with important concepts and terms associated with subawards
- Understand the principles of reviewing a subaward for programmatic effort under a federal grant or other federal assistance award and identify potential problems and areas in need of change in order to make the award more acceptable
- Understand the principles of drafting a subaward for programmatic effort under a specific federal grant or other federal assistance award
- Be able to negotiate the terms and conditions of such a subaward so that the resulting subaward contains terms and conditions that are mutually acceptable to the parties
The tutorial will offer interactive learning activities as well as knowledge reviews for each lesson. The course will end with a multiple-choice final exam, and offers a downloadable certificate of completion for those who successfully pass the final exam (80% or higher). If you do not successfully pass the final you have the option to retake the exam during your 10 week enrollment period. Start your tutorial at any time! You will have 10 weeks from the first date that you access the tutorial to complete the course.
Students should expect to spend approximately 1-2 hours per lesson on the course material.
All lessons will be accessible throughout the course. If you would like to print off the lesson text as a PDF please visit the Resources section within each lesson. Please note: This course does not have an audio component.
We recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Edge web browsers to view the tutorial.
Lesson 1: Key Terminology
Lesson 2: Context
Lesson 3: Flow
Lesson 4: Initial Determinations
Lesson 5: Parts of a Subaward
Lesson 6: Principles of Subaward Negotiation
Lesson 7: Flowdowns
Lesson 8: Administration of Subawards
Lesson 9: Staying Current
Lesson 10: Summary
A Primer on Subawards Under Federal Assistance Awards is worth 15 clock hours and 1.5 CEU's. You will be able to print your certificate from this page after passing the final exam with a score of 80% or higher.
Includes one CEU certificate per registration. Group CEU requests are not available.
- Non-member - $355
- Member - $295